Winter fly fishing is one of the true joys of the sport that not everyone knows about. The reality is that many rivers don’t tend to freeze in winter, and the fish are still biting. You can enjoy some of the more-traveled spots during winter as well, because there will be few others out fly fishing.
Before you go, you’ll need to stock up on fly fishing gear in Fraser, CO. That’s where Winter Park Flyfisher comes in. Our expert staff can pair you with all the right equipment. Let’s take a look at the top spots for winter fly fishing in Colorado:
- Cheesman/Deckers: This is a busier area in the South Platte. There tend to be some slippery slopes and crowds, but it’s popular because of its plentiful midge hatches.
- The Blue River: This runs out of the Dillon Reservoir and is an ideal spot for winter fly fishing. It’s easy to access, as it’s right near the outlet stores in Silverthorne off I-70.
- The Dream Stream: Make sure to bring your warmest clothing! This is a tailwater section of the South Platte in a cold and windy section of South Park. But anglers love it for winter fly fishing.
- Boxwood Gulch: This fly fishing spot near Denver lies on the north fork of the South Platte River. Here’s a great place to catch many different species of trout. Anglers are always talking about the big trout you can catch at Boxwood Gulch, so don’t miss out.
- San Juan: If you’re looking for spots to fish near Colorado, check out San Juan in New Mexico. There’s plenty of room for tailwater here, along with fewer crowds than its more touristy neighbor.
- The Colorado River: While this body of water is prone to icing up, parts of it will remain ice free, especially from Granby to Kremmling. Watch out as it will be especially cold in the mornings.
- Williams Fork: Fly fishers love this spot because it’s peaceful and bountiful. It is a bit of a walk, so make sure you have all the gear necessary when you leave your vehicle.
There’s only one leader when it comes to fly fishing gear in Fraser, CO: Winter Park Flyfisher. For more than two decades, we’ve served the fly fishing community with the best possible outdoor gear and fishing equipment available. We also host some of the most rewarding and informative guided fishing trips in the Fraser Valley. Our expert staff members strive to ensure you have the best, most memorable Fraser river fishing experience possible.
We also carry brand name products that our loyal customer base loves from outdoor goods leaders like Simms and Patagonia. We also sell items from Winston, Umpqua, Temple Fork, Montana Fly Company, Scientific Anglers, Buff, Trouthunter, Ross Reels, Lamson, Ouray, Redington and more. Call us today or stop by our shop to learn more about our wide range of products and services. We look forward to helping you enjoy your fishing experience this winter, wherever you may travel!
Categorised in: Fly Fishing