You might assume that fly fishing isn’t a winter sport, but it turns out that you can enjoy the majesty of nature and the solitude of the river all year round. However, winter does present some unique challenges for anglers that you’ll want to consider before you venture out. It provides a test of your skills and ability to adapt that can pay off for those who want to improve.
But first you’re going to need to gear up at a fly fishing shop in Fraser, CO. That’s where Winter Park Flyfisher comes in to meet all your needs. Here are our top tips for your next winter fly fishing excursion:
- Don’t go at the crack of dawn: You may be used to fishing early in the morning, but for fly fishing in the winter, you’ll want to push it back a bit. If you get up at 9 a.m. and set out on the river at 11 a.m., that should be just about right. This timing will allow you to get there right when the fish begin to bite.
- Wear thinner socks: Your instinct might be to layer on very heavy socks because it’s cold outside, but what you’ll actually want to do is ensure that blood can circulate to your feet. Try a single pair of heavyweight Smartwool socks paired with well-insulated waders and you should be good to go.
- Pack for the conditions: Less might be more for socks, but you will still want to be prepared. Put on those layers like you’re preparing to go skiing. Take some extra coffee to stay warm, and bring an extra pair of gloves to replace the pair that will definitely get wet.
- Fewer people: One of the great things about winter fly fishing is that far fewer anglers will be out and about on the river. That means you can hit normally busy spots and often be one of only a few people out there.
- Use midges: Many fish will eat up to half of their diet in midges. This is especially true in the winter months, when midges may be the only thing they eat, so make sure you bring plenty of them with you to keep those fish biting.
Are you looking for a fly fishing shop in Fraser, CO? Then Winter Park Flyfisher has exactly what you’re looking for. We’ve long been the region’s leader, with more than 43 years of fishing experience. We use our expertise to ensure your fishing trip in Grand County is a fond lifelong memory.
We’re also a premier provider of Patagonia products and can take you on guided trips to anywhere in the region. We are a year-round, full-service fly shop offering top-quality flies, fishing gear, outerwear and accessories. Our conveniently located storefront is the perfect place to pick up everything you need, from gear to guides, to access the rich natural bounty of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Call today or stop by to find out how we can help you!
Categorised in: Fly Fishing