There’s not much better in this life than spending a relaxing day on the river fishing alone or with friends and family. To get to that picture-perfect moment, though, you do need to prepare a bit by making sure you have all the gear you need to catch some big ones.
Before you set out to go fly fishing in Fraser, CO, make sure to check the list below to ensure you have everything you need in your kit. It’s never fun to be out on the water and realize you forgot a key piece of gear:
- Fishing rods and reels: The most obvious items you’ll need to fish are a good rod and reel. There is a stunning array of options for rods in terms of length, material, and weight, and you would benefit from talking to a fishing equipment expert before you make a purchase, especially as rods can be expensive. Of course, you also just want the rod to feel good in your hands, so make sure you take your own feelings into account as well. In terms of reels, these vary mainly in terms of weight to coordinate with the rod and the amount of line they hold. Reels have the ability to last forever if you take good care of them, so you might want to pick one with a higher price to make sure you’re investing in quality.
- Line, leaders, and tippets: On top of a great rod and wheel, you’ll need quality fly fishing line and leaders and tippets. Your line should be somewhat heavy, with enough weight to cut through any tough weather conditions but not enough to sink in the river. You’ll also want to find leaders and tippets that are easy to attach and that offer a high level of performance. Tippets come in a variety of weights (for example, 6x or 7x typically for smaller streams and 4x or 5x for larger rivers). Again, it counts to talk to a professional to see which brands and weights are right for the type of fly fishing you’re interested in.
- Fly boxes: Clearly, any angler needs a great box of flies to tempt the fish. Try to get a variety of flies, including streamers, nymphs, midges, and dry flies, in your box so you have something ready for any situation on the water.
- Strike indicators: To know when to set the hook, you’ll need to be able to see when you get a hit on your fly. Make sure to choose floatants that are brightly colored and float well so you can spot a bite from far away.
- Net: Why do you need a good net? For a few reasons, namely to land your catch with greater ease and to assist with its safe release for someone else to catch another time.
You’ll definitely want to purchase everything listed above and more if you’re in the process of setting up your fly fishing gear in Fraser, CO. To make sure your purchases count, you’ll want to visit the best fishing store in the area: Winter Park Flyfisher. Our staff have over 40 years of fishing experience on their side, and can talk you through any gear purchases to set you up for a successful fishing season.
Since 2007, Winter Park Flyfisher has been the premier Patagonia and Simms store in the region, carrying all their fly fishing gear such as waders, boots, packs, vests, and outerwear. On top of selling equipment, we also run guided trips on both the Fraser River and Colorado River. Stop by to learn more!